Defending yourself against criminal charges can be a frustrating and overwhelming experience. The good news is that you don’t have represent yourself. As a criminal defence lawyer, my practice area includes Oshawa and I am prepared to begin defending you today.
If you have been charged with a criminal offence in Oshawa, keep reading and I will explain why you need a criminal defence lawyer, what I will do for you as your Oshawa criminal lawyer, and the 5 things you should do if you are arrested for committing a criminal offence.
Why You Should Hire A Criminal Defence Lawyer?
Your liberty and freedom are in jeopardy any time you are charged with a criminal offence. It doesn’t matter how minor the offence is. A conviction for a criminal offence can result in a penalty ranging from a probation order or fine, to a jail sentence. A criminal defence lawyer may be the difference between you being found not guilty or guilty. Hiring a criminal lawyer can also have an impact on what kind of sentence you receive if you were to be found guilty. When you hire a criminal lawyer, they are there to advocate for you, to defend you, and to help you get the best possible result.
Another advantage to hiring a criminal defence lawyer is that a lawyer has a unique knowledge of criminal law and how our criminal justice system works. A competent criminal lawyer is in the best position to provide you with legal advice and help you navigate your way through the criminal justice system.
By hiring a criminal defence lawyer, you are getting the peace of mind of knowing that someone is there to advocate for you, to defend you. The police are not there to assist you if you are arrested. The police have a responsibility to investigate allegations of criminal offences. The Crown Attorney is not there to assist you either. The Crown Attorney has a responsibility to prosecute anyone who has been charged with a criminal offence. Only a criminal defence lawyer is there to advocate on your behalf and ensure your rights are protected.
What I Can Do For You As Your Oshawa Criminal Lawyer
As your Oshawa criminal lawyer, I will start by meeting with you for a free consultation so that you can get answers to some of the immediate questions you might have, including;
- Are these serious criminal charges? How serious are they?
- What is the best outcome?
- What is the worst outcome?
- What are my legal options?
- As a criminal lawyer, what do I recommend?
- How much does it cost to hire a criminal lawyer?
- What will happen on the first court date?
- Can you explain my bail conditions?
When you hire me, you are hiring a lawyer who practices exclusively criminal law. As your Oshawa criminal lawyer, I will advocate fearlessly and resolutely on your behalf. I will give you my honest opinion about the strengths and weaknesses of your case. I will advise you what your legal options are, and what I recommend you do.
As your Oshawa criminal lawyer, I will attend court on your behalf so that you do not have to take time off work or school. If I require your attendance at Court, I will advise you in advance so that you can make arrangements to be there. I will review the evidence against you, and advise you what your legal options are. Once I receive your instructions about how you want to proceed, I will have pre-trial discussions with the Crown Attorney and with a Judge to either resolve your charges or to proceed on to trial.
Before each court date I will call you to advise you what is expected to happen on that date. I will also advise you after each court date what did happen in Court and when the next court date is. I can be contacted by email or phone, and I am available to meet in person if you have any questions or concerns about your case.
As your Oshawa criminal lawyer, I will defend your rights under the Charter, including your right to liberty and security of person. I am committed to working with you and all other parties to achieve the best possible result for you.
5 Steps You Should Take If You Are Charged With A Criminal Offence
- Arrange a Free Consultation with a Criminal Lawyer – Whether you decide to hire a lawyer or not, you should understand what rights you have and what your legal options are. Contact me immediately to arrange a free consultation.
- Comply with All of Your Bail Conditions – It is important that you comply with all of your bail conditions. Being charged with one criminal offence is bad enough; you do not need to be charged with Failing to Comply.
- Don’t Miss Your Court Date – Similar to complying with your bail conditions, it is important you attend Court as required or you could be charged with Failing to Appear. If you are released from the police station without being fingerprinted, then make sure you attend the police station at the required day and time for fingerprinting or you could be charged with Failing to Appear.
- Don’t Get Your Legal Advice from the Internet – The Internet is full of people who are not lawyers but who are quick to provide you with advice. If you want legal advice, then speak with a lawyer.
- Understand What Rights You Have, Including Your Right Not to Make a Statement – If you are arrested, the police are not there to assist you. The police have a duty to investigate crime. Under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms you have an absolute right not to make a statement to the police and you are not required to assist them in their investigation.
Contact me today and arrange a free consultation if you have been charged for a criminal offence and have to appear in court in Oshawa.